Sooo…..in case you can’t tell with this blog…one of my favourite hobbies next to running is baking.
my first ever homemade cream puff
First “fancy” Bourbon Pecan Pie – Christmas 2011
Annual baking night with B
I abked some yummy lemon cupcakes
Snowman Cookies (free hand)
First time Sugar Cookie Art – Chrsitmas 2011
Vegan vanilla cupcakes
My first lattice cherry pie
notice my hidden Mickey sprinkles in these yummy cake batter chocolate chip cookies?!
pumpkin spice dolce de leche macarons
Peppermint Mocha cupcakes (vegan)
My first ever “fancy” cupcake – Christmas 2011
fun fetti macarons
Contest Winning Cookies
Happy Birthday Coach Dad! Key lime pie
I have made croissants from scratch, mastered macarons made some rather delectable cream puffs and made plenty of cookies and cupcakes in all sorts of flavours and styles….almost too many to count.
This spring, I’m hoping to add more “different things” to my baking skills arsenal and also make some fun “spring season” treats. :). Here is my list of the top five things I’m hoping to experiment with this spring:
- Donuts. Fried, not baked. I think I may try my hand at a copycat Krispy Kreme recipe because I love a good Krispy Kreme and there are zero Krispy Kremes nearby.
- Layer cake (I haven’t made one in a looong while)…but really do something fun with the decorating…basically, pic one of the ever so many beautiful cakes at Style Sweet CA.
- Kringle. I tried this at Trader Joes this past fall (some sort of delicious pumpkin one)…and I have finally found a few recipes online. I def. need to try making this yummy Danish dessert….I mean, it’s the right thing to do to honour my Danish heritage, right? This recipe looks pretty damn good.
- Cinnamon Rolls – or a variation of cinnamon rolls like this delicious Joy the Baker treat. I haven’t made them in ages. Maybe add a spring flare to it like some berries or something? Or hell, maybe the variation is to make some Kouign Amann?
- A savoury scone – I have never made one before…think it could be yummers. I like the idea of this Thomas Keller recipe because I have made a number of Thomas Keller things and they all turn out delicious..and it gives me a reason to dig out my beautiful Bouchon Cookbook.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Let me know in the comments!
My first day in Sydney, Circular Quay – December’06
Though technically I am a week away from officially being in the country (I arrive next Friday morning, Australia time), I’m already eagerly counting down the moments until I get there and I am excited about sooooo many things for this trip.
There are many groups of “five” that I am looking forward to on this trip…and below are my three of my top lists:
Top Five Food/Drink:
- Dinner resos at Quay.
- Arnott’s cookies (Tim Tams, Kingstons, Mint Slices, OH MY!)
- Flat Whites (so much better than the Starbucks versions).
- Coopers Sparkling Ale (yummy yummy beer)
- Nachos, Guac and champers (the standard snack when I arrive in Aus)
Top Five Things I look forward to doing:
- Hang with my girls and my adopt a nieces!!!!
- The aforementioned nachos, guac and champers while watching Walking Dead
- Bake macarons for my little adopt a niece’s first birthday!!!
- Surf with my friend’s husband and then enjoy some breakfast beers
- Celebrate my adopt a niece’s first birthday and take her to her swimming lessons
Top Five Things I Like Doing in Australia
- Shopping. They have some lovely stores you can’t find in North America and I love, love, love me some Peter Alexander pjs!
- Hanging out in downtown Sydney. The hustle and bustle of Martin Place and George St., Circular Quay, The Opera House, Harbour Bridge, the Rocks the ferries to Manly beach…so many great places.
- Listening to the slang and accents. It always makes me smile.
- The easy access to champers at local lounges, restaurants, etc.
- Go for a run and not freeze my rear off!
Woo! Australia! Can’t wait!
Friday five….and it’s Five weeks until I go to Disney for Princess.
I’m so excited!!!
Holy crappers. It’s so close and yet so far.
Wanna know what 5 things I’m looking forward to? Well, good because that is the top of my Friday Five post today.
- Seeing my Run Club hit their goals and for some, get their first big real race bling. I’m so, so, so, so excited to see all this all happen for everyone.
Can’t wait to see my run club get their bling!
- Meeting my Team Can-Am Ladies. Oh. Em. Gee. So. Darn. Excited. If I think about it too much it makes me teary eyed.
- Finally getting to ride Splash Mountain, post Princess, like I wanted to do in 2013, but couldn’t because the ride was closed down.
- Doing the Wild Africa Trek Excursion in Animal Kingdom. So excited to do this bonus extra…can’t wait to see what it is like.
- Having a GOOD race day during the Princess Half.
This last one is a big one. Due to injuries, illness and immense sleep deprivation, my first princess experience was horrid. I was miserable throughout the entire thing.
My main goal for the race is to run happily and well (the subsequent goals are to run for a PR and possibly for 1:50 or less if possible because, well, I could have a good day and I ALWAYS have three goals for races). I really want to feel good this time round though—embrace every moment and do the best I can and feel good too.
Anything you are counting down to? Are you going to be at Princess race Weekend? Let me know in the comments!