Hey Folks! Happy Friday!
Today’s post is about Fall Fitness….specifically my plans for fall fitness. I’m going to be changing things up a little bit in the hopes that I will get a bit fitter, resulting in becoming a better, less injured runner. Fingers crossed that it works. 🙂 Would love to run strong and be injury free at Glass Slipper Challenge.
1. Swimming–I have enrolled in a swim club. It’s only once a week–essentially lessons on stroke refinement, but, still, I have joined a swim club. Very excited and very nervous about this addition of cross training into my repertoire.
2. Hot Yoga–I know this isn’t exactly new for me, but I haven’t done it in a dog’s age. I’m opting to get back into it so that I am prepared for the heat in Orlando come Glass Slipper Challenge time. I know it’s not the same heat, but it’s still heat and I feel like the heat training will be beneficial for GSC. Plus it will keep me limber and hopefully injury free.
3. Rowing–not real rowing in a boat, mind you, but rowing on a rowing machine. A dear man named Roy, who is a quasi member of run club (he’s 82 and ran in both the British Army and in Britain’s Olympic Trials in his youth), suggested I do some rowing as cross training, saying that it will greatly improve my endurance for running. Hope he’s right. 🙂
4. Longer Long Runs–I will admit, I am sorta dreading this one. 😐 When I did Dumbo Double Dare in 2013, I felt like dying at around mile 10-11…and then felt like that to the very end. I want to change that up so that I have most power, stamina and maybe even have a finishing kick at the end–and my dad (and other research, including asking Roy) suggested I start doing 14-16 mile long runs, which will make 13.1 feel like a breeze. Shoot. Me.
5. TRX–I have virtually zero discipline for weight training. I get into a good habit and then it dies real fast. I am going to try to incorporate two or three TRX classes so that I can build up my strength.
What are your plans for Fall Fitness? Trying anything new? 🙂