As I have mentioned a few times, I have two races in the next eight days–and I am not feeling trained. That alone almost makes me excited, though with a side of dread, to see what is going to happen. Hah!
When I’m not trained for races, there are five key thoughts that always pops through my head….and they are my Friday Five for this week:
1. Why? Why did I sign up for this? Why didn’t I train more? Why do my legs feel so crappy? You name it, there are a lot of “whys” that pop through my head before a race, especially one that I am not feeling prepared for.
2. It will be ok. You’ve done these distances many times before. Think like Nike and “just do it.”
3. It’s only X miles. It’s not like you are doing a marathon or an ironman,
4. Thank goodness I’m not running a marathon or an ironman.
5. Nobody will know if I don’t run…right?
What things pop into your head pre-race? Are the thoughts different from times when you feel prepared vs times when you don’t feel prepared?