2013 has been a good year. I think it’s safe to say that, given that this is the last day of this year. No doubt I had a few rough spots, much like everyone, but generally speaking this year has left me feeling excited about life, the future and what is yet to come–the first time in a long time that I have felt this way.
13 Highlights for 2013:
1. Starting this blog with Princess Lindsey! What can I say–it’s been a slice!
2. Getting the medical ok to run again after Cross Fit related knee problems and I came back with a vengeance. I was feeling really discouraged after my injury (related to old cartilage damage that really got enflamed with doing the deep squats in Cross Fit), but after my forced, post-Princess Half running hiatus, I was able to start my comeback in April. In four short months, I became the fittest version of me that has ever existed–it was pretty amazing.
3. The Dumbo Double Dare Challenge & The Princess Half Marathon…my best and worst races ever, respectively (a 25:16 difference in my finishing times), and all with my top running inspiration–my dear old dad. It was encouraging to have my dad there, proud of me at both races, especially Princess, when he knew that my training didn’t go as well as I would’ve hoped. It was also amazing to have my dad, waiting for me at the finish, having pre-paid my medal engraving, with a high five and a breakfast sandwich from Earle of Sandwich.
4. I PR’d in the 10K Distance 3 times within about 6 weeks (the last PR at the Disneyland 10K) and placed first in my age group for two of those PRS. Had you told me that this would be happening in February, after running the Princess, I would’ve laughed at you.
5. I have had a great Christmas with my family. With my grandpa’s worsening dementia and my dad’s health problems this year, I really took the time to enjoy the moments with those near and dear as no one knows when things will change.
7. I feel the best I have felt in my entire life…healthy, strong, excited for future goals and content for the first time in my adult life. This is such a great way to start off 2014. Can’t wait to see what happens next!
8. I ran approximately 752 miles in 2013….this is just an estimate as I didn’t have a foot pod for the first 3-ish weeks of January and I left my watch behind on a few runs.
9. I got this photo at the end of the Disneyland Half. PERFECTION!
10. I swam a personal distance record of an entire mile this summer. Never thought that would happen–now I need to be disciplined and get back into the pool to do it again.
11. My favourite training run of the year has to be when I ran 5 miles at a 7:27 pace in early November. Though I’ve lost some of that speed over the last month with my inconsistent workouts, that is my new goal to shoot for in my comeback.
12. I got bumped from my flight home from Florida, which paid for my flights to California–first time this has ever happened to me and it made my trip to DDD that much sweeter…and arguably cheaper. 🙂
13. The time me and Princess Lindsey were Minion runners.