So, I’ve been battling a knee/ITB injury for just over 7 weeks now, and I think I’ve finally gotten ahead of it. I’ve been able to master up to 5 miles without pain. But…I feel like I’m moving at the speed of a turtle. My patience is waning, and I desperately want to get back to “my” race pace, and an attainable PR pace…sometime in the next month. I still haven’t lost sight of PR’ing at Melissa’s Road Race (Banff, September 28), but it’s a tough race, and I’m a loooooong ways off at the moment. So, I decided to put together some motivation in the form of an “Epic Comeback Playlist” for use during some of my September speed-up sessions.
What’s your fav motivational/butt-kicking/go all out song? – Leave ’em in the comments! I’d love to add to my list!
- Applause – Lady Gaga.
- This new song totally appeals to my dance & cheerleading background. One of the biggest things I miss is feeding off a crowd and living to entertain. …Maybe that’s why my best race moments are at the finish line….
- Better Now – Collective Soul.
- “Let the word out, I’ve got to get out, whoah, I’m feeling better now.” Yep, I AM feeling better now. And everyone needs to know it.
- Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- “Little bit of humble, little bit of cautious. Somewhere between like Rocky and Cosby.” I want to push, but if I get too cocky and quit with my rehab exercises and maintenance strategies like lots of icing and foam rolling, I’m going to end up back where I started. Humble + Cautious = Win. Thanks, guys.
- Cinderella Man – Eminem
- Um…explicit lyrics warning: there is a lot of swearing in this song. …Would you expect any less from Eminem? But I love the pace of this song; it’s perfect for my running cadence. Also, the person in this song is unstoppable: “No remorse I’m showin’, ain’t slowin’ for no one. Knowin’ there is nothin’ you can do about it. Zeroin’ on the target like a marksman.”
- Gold Rush – Clinton Sparks ft. 2 Chainz, Macklemore & D.A.
- There isn’t a motivational message in this song…unless I’m aspiring to become a gold digger. But it just makes me want to dance.
- My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light Em Up) – Fall Out Boy
- “I’m on fire” is right in the chorus. ‘Nuff said?
- Headlines– Drake
- “I had someone tell me I fell off, ooh I needed that. And they wanna see me pick back up, well where’d I leave it at.” …My theory is that I left it somewhere between here and Florida, after Princess Half Marathon. My speed has been poor ever since, but I’m ready to make the effort to get it back.
- Ready to Go – Republica
- “From the rooftop shout it out: Baby, I’m ready to go.” Yep, I want that to be the only thought in my head as I cross the start line at Melissa’s RR.
- Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) – Kelly Clarkson
- This is a staple comeback song, which has even been popular at runDisney events in the past year or two. Self-explanatory, right?
- Roar – Katy Perry
- This list is book-ended with the songs that started and finished the MTV VMAs this past weekend. Although most of the junk in the middle was poor (minus the brief *NSYNC reunion & JT mini-concert), I got two brand new anthems out of it, so it was worth the space on my PVR. “I got the eye of the tiger, dancing through the fire, ‘cuz I am a champion, and you’re gonna’ hear me roar.”