When it comes to getting your fitness on, some days are harder than others.
Yesterday was one of those days thanks to a flare up of my on-again-off-again plantar fasciitis and an strong craving for a nap.
For better or worse, my extra push to move was an iced latte from my favourite coffee shoppe in Winnipeg, Parlour, which is not conveniently located for a quick coffee break jaunt from my office. It is, however, conveniently located for a quick coffee jaunt from my Fit in 45 class–just one floor below the class, in the same building.
Like Princess Lindsey, I agree that food motivators, like food rewards, are not the best approach to achieve your fitness goals. In this case, I saw it as a grey area at worst as I had already decided to get an iced coffee that day, but knowing I could get a better one by working out made attending class more enticing.
A tastier iced latte not enough to get you moving? Here are 10 other motivational tips to get your @ss in gear:
- trying on those skinny jeans–do they fit yet? Are you getting close? Completing your scheduled workout will get you a little bit closer to that goal
- on that note, positive visualization of being done the workout and how great you will feel having done it. It’s a bit hokey, but it gets you out the door
- check out a race calendar (or your own race plans). Knowing you have a race coming up gives you extra drive to run
- listen to a song that pumps you up–right now that song for me is Starships by Nicki Minaj
- change it up–if you normally run, try going for a swim. If you normally hit up a cross fit box, try going to hot yoga or a spinning class
- cut the intensity or the time. Try a HIIT workout that will have you done in 20 minutes or go for a brisk, hour long walk instead of a 3 mile run.
- phone a friend–have them meet you at the gym for a team workout
- just show up–sometimes just getting to the gym gives me an extra push to do something, anything, that gets your heart pounding
- promising yourself you can quit after 15 minutes–most times you will finish your planned workout, in it’s entirety
- give yourself a break. If you are really not feeling it then give yourself a rest day and be ready to come back strong
What are some of your tips to get moving when your @ss says no?? Please share in the comments!
Much luv and Happy Friday!