Every year around my birthday, I get stuck in a bit of a funk…well, last year I didn’t, but it was because I was pre-occupied with Dumbo Double Dare Training. The training for those races was pumping me with so many endorphins, I don’t think it was possible for me to feel bad.
What makes me feel bad, well, it is simply related to the following:
- I am getting older…I’m going to be 34 next month!? (How did this happen?!)
- I am single…when combined with the above, one’s head fills with horrible, negative thoughts and stereotypes of spinsters and dying alone and not being discovered for weeks.
- I am not anywhere near having a baby even though I have the desire to have one (and apparently everyone around me is fertile, happy and growing tiny humans inside of them right now).
- I am struggling to find a career path that I can see myself enjoying and learning from…and I’m not sure what to do to fix it and as years pass, it feels impossible to change my career.
I am working hard to not let these feelings mess up my birthday this year. I have fun things planned on and around my birthday (ie movies – specifically Frozen– in a large local park with smuggled in champagne and s’mores, baking myself an amazing birthday cake, tickets to Wicked with a friend, dinners, a hair appointment).
Life is too precious and I am sick of feeling stuck and unsure of where to take my life because I’m unhappy about these things. Therefore, I’ve decided to stop wasting time and to start working hard to address these issues. I may not ever meet my expectations, but I am definitely going to do what I can to work toward them.
A friend recommended seeing a life coach/therapist and gave me a recommendation and I think I’m going to use it. It will be costly, but somehow it seems worth it if it means I can come to a place of contentment about my life, both where it is now and where it could go in the future, regardless of whether or not that includes a husband and a baby.
So yeah…that’s where my head space is at. Feeling a smidge bummed, but at the same time hopeful of what is to come. In the meantime, I have some questions for my dear bloggy friends out there:
- Have you ever been to a life coach/therapist? Was it beneficial?
- How do you shake yourself out of a “stuck” place?
- How do you find contentment when the big things in life aren’t going your way?
- What are your favourite ways to celebrate your birthday?
- How do you deal with getting older? Especially when you don’t feel like you are the age you are turning?!
P.S. Thanks for listening to me vent. :) It is greatly appreciated! Mwa!